Wednesday, February 23, 2011

For the Love of Umami

A recent Yahoo! article sparked my attention. Is This the Best Burger in America? I read it and instantly started researching the art of hamburger making and what in the world Umami means to dinner plates world wide. The new Umami Burger sounds so delicious that I almost fainted from hunger. This might have something to do with my current living/food situation. I live in El Salvador and our hamburgers have one thin slice of poor quality meat. Its a very sad hamburger. One kind of cool thing about our hamburgers is that they are served with cucumber slices instead of pickles. I love pickles. Love them. bread and butter, sweet, sour, kosher, love them. But the cucumber is a nice change and gives the hamburger a fresh, crisp edge. Its a very hip hamburger.

I will admit that I'm not a food critic. Not even close.  I don't have the experience or education or the refined palatte of a food critic. I'm just a normal girl that likes food and happens to think the idea of going to restaurants and then informing the masses on the great food of our time sounds intriguing. So how does one become a food blogger? I assume, like anything else, its with practice. So here I will attempt to update you on the finer and not so finer foods of El Salvador.

Oh and for those of you that are curious: umami: its the fifth taste, you know, after sweet, sour, salty, and bitter. Its what happens when you sprinkle parmesean cheese on top of your spaghetti sauce. Umami just makes everything taste better.

No comments:

Post a Comment